Apprenticeship in Wales
Whether you already deliver IT apprenticeships or are thinking about starting, you can find all the information you need below.
NB – General information for employers is available on the Business Wales website.
Start delivering IT apprenticeships
There’s never been a better time to start delivering IT apprenticeships, with interest in them growing from both employers and individuals. To get started, you’ll need to follow three steps:
Step 1: Look at our IT apprenticeship frameworks for Wales below and ensure you can deliver them
Step 2: Apply to the Welsh Assembly Government DCELLS to become an approved supplier and begin receiving apprenticeship funding
Step 3: Register as a centre with one of the awarding bodies that offer the qualifications listed in the frameworks.
Employment rights and responsibilities
In addition, all apprentices must demonstrate their understanding of employment rights and responsibilities (ERR). This can be achieved through completing a unit with the appropriate awarding organisation. Prior approval from the Tech Partnership is required:
- Edexcel BTEC Level 2 Award in Workskills for Effective Learning and Employment (QCF)
- City & Guilds L2 Award in Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Agored Cymru Level 2 Award in Employment Rights and Responsibilities (QCF)
Or by your apprentice completing, and you assessing, this workbook:
- Download the ERR workbook (PDF 314KB)
Download the IT apprenticeship frameworks
The Tech Partnership is the official issuing authority for the IT apprenticeship frameworks. These are developed in conjunction with a wide group of employers and cover a range of job roles and levels.
IT, software, web & telecoms professionals frameworks: flexible enough to accommodate almost any IT job role, including technical support, software and web development.
- Level 2, 3 and 4: Apprenticeship for IT, Software, Web and Telecoms Professionals framework – Wales (latest version FR03899 – issue 8) PDF 2MB
Data analytics framework: provides the skills and knowledge to become a professional in the field of Data Analytics (which includes Big Data).
- Level 4: Data Analytics – Wales (latest version – FR03787 – issue 2) PDF 1.9MB
Information security framework: suitable for roles in cyber security, such as network security, information assurance, governance, digital forensics and security analysis.
- Level 3: Information Security – Wales (latest version – FR03686 – issue 4) PDF 1.5MB
IT users framework: enable apprentices to become IT “super users” and are designed to help people who are new to roles in which they use IT intensively.
- Level 2 and 3: IT Users (non-statutory) Apprenticeship framework – Wales (latest version FR03974 – issue 5) PDF 1MB
Request a certificate
Once an apprentice has completed the requirements laid out in the IT apprenticeship frameworks, they’ve earned their certificate. You can request it on their behalf through Apprenticeship Certification Wales (ACW). When you register, select the Tech Partnership as the related body.
Any questions on the frameworks, please contact email@example.com