Degree Apprenticeships

Train high-calibre graduates for business needs


*** While the Tech Partnership will be closing in September 2018, the employer-led, not-for-profit organisation ‘Tech Partnership Degrees‘ is taking forward its Higher Education work, including industry-accredited Tech Industry Gold degrees (ITMB and Software Engineering for Business)  and degree apprenticeships. The new organisation will start operating from 1st August 2018. In the meantime, a new website is being developed at and will be available asap in June. Watch this space! ***


Degree apprenticeships are the fastest-growing route to attracting top talent into business. They attract high calibre candidates who gain all the benefits of on-the-job learning and a fee-free Honours degree.

Designed by leading employers, the Tech Partnership accredits digital degree apprenticeships to equip degree apprentices to work in a wide range of graduate-level tech roles, including cyber security analyst, data analyst, business analyst, network engineer, software engineer and more.

Quick facts

  • In a nutshell: Degree apprentices are full-time employed members of staff who work in your business while studying towards a university-awarded Honours degree
  • Duration: 3-5 years, most commonly 4 years
  • Candidates: new recruits or existing team members (no age limit)
  • Study time: typically, the equivalent of a day per week, either for block or day release study at university or college, or to study online
  • Support: employers provide their degree apprentices with study time and access to resources they may need to succeed, such as mentoring support
  • Salary: employers are expected to pay an appropriate training salary over the duration of their degree apprentices’ study, with starting salaries currently ranging from £14,000 to £22,500
  • Recruitment: through the employer’s own website and recruitment campaigns, supported by the university or college, which in most cases will also advertise vacancies
  • Larger employers: companies with an annual payroll of £3m+, and therefore liable to pay the apprenticeship levy from May 2017, will be able to fund up to 100% of a degree apprentice’s tuition costs from their levy contribution
  • Smaller employers: SMEs can claim 90% of these costs from the government, leaving them to pay only 10% themselves
  • Coverage: degree apprenticeships are currently only available in England, although there are plans to extend to other parts of the UK in the near future


Why employers are embracing degree apprenticeships

Employers including Accenture, BT, Ford, Goldman Sachs, GSK, IBM, John Lewis, Lloyds Bank and Virgin Media are choosing digital degree apprenticeships to attract and retain top digital talent. Here are a few reasons why:

Attract new talent: by the prospects of working for a prestigious company, earning a salary and gaining a degree with no loan to repay.

Energise existing teams: employers report that their degree apprentices are highly motivated, enthusiastic members of staff who quickly develop skills and have an energising impact on the colleagues they work with.

Increase staff retention: apprentices are more loyal than other types of employee. In a recent survey of businesses, 56% said apprentices stay in the business longer than other recruits.

Apprenticeship levy returns: degree apprenticeships are an ideal way for levy-paying employers to spend their entitlement – especially if your company has traditionally recruited at graduate level for digital roles


Degree apprenticeships are offered at BSc and MSc levels. Discover more on each: